[Leer en español] Some people who appeared in The Other Side of Immigration claimed that the Mexican population doesn’t have much information about all the social programs that are available to them. So I made a list. Please share this with people you know in Mexico. Note: don’t be too optimistic about these programs or assume that Mexico has a thriving welfare state. These programs are often underfunded, restricted to particular groups, and have application processes that are difficult to navigate. When I surveyed 700 rural Mexican households in 2008, I found that while many people knew about and received funds from Oportunidades, 70 y más, and PROCAMPO, hardly anyone had heard of any other the other programs or knew how to apply for them.
POVERTY REDUCTION PROGRAMS
- Oportunidades - The Opportunities Program is a direct cash transfer for elementary/secondary school scholarships, health services, and nutrition for infants and pregnant women. Stipends vary according to household circumstances, but when I conducted my survey in 2008, most Oportunidades beneficiaries were receiving about US$45 every two months, plus small scholarships for school-aged children and comparable stipends for senior citizens when applicable.
- El Programa 3 x 1 Para Migrantes - The 3 for 1 Program for Migrants gives Mexicans who live abroad the opportunity to channel resources to Mexico and fund social projects that directly benefit their communities of origin. For every peso that migrants contribute to a project, Mexico’s federal, state and municipal governments each contribute one peso for a total of three pesos. Hence the name, 3 for 1.
- Programa 70 y Más Adultos Mayores -The 70 and Over Program serves people aged 70 or older who live in towns with populations of up to 30,000. Recipients receive a stipend of 500 pesos per month (US$36), information about health facilities, and access to services provided by instituations like INAPAM.
- Atención a Jornaleros Agrícolas -The Attention to Agricultural Workers Program provides support for nutrition, health, infrastructure, education, and information and access to basic services to eligible farm workers and their families.
- Programa de Empleo Temporal (PET) - The Temporary Work Program provides temporary jobs and income to people affected by high unemployment and natural disasters.
- Programa Estancias Infantiles para Apoyar a Madres Trabajadoras - The Daycare for Working Mothers Program provides support to low income mothers with children between one and four years old (and between one and six years old for children with disabilities)
- Programa Opciones Productivas - The Productive Options program supports productive projects (small businesses) in impoverished areas.
- Programa Abasto Rural (Diconsa) - This program supplies impoverished rural communities of populations between 200 and 2500 people with food and other basic goods.
- Programa “Tu Casa” (FONHAPO) - The program provides grants to acquire, build, finish, extend or improve housing for people living in poverty.
- Programa Vivienda Rural (FONHAPO) – This program provides economic support for rural or indigenous families in impoverished communities of 5,000 people or less to build, augment, or improve their home.
- Fondo Nacional para el Fomento de las Artesanías (FONHART) – The National Fund for the Promotion of Artisans provides training and funding for materials for artisans in impoverished areas.
- Programa Abasto Social de Leche (LICONSA) - Liconsa supplies stipends for subsidized milk to women, children, and senior citizens living in poverty.
RURAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS
- El Programa Fondo para el Apoyo a Proyectos Productivos en núcleos Agrarios (FAPPA) - The Fund to Support Productive Projects in Agricultural Zones (FAPPA) is aimed at men and women who live in farming communities, are not landowners, and who intend to start productive projects (small businesses) that create jobs and income for their family and community. Projects can be, for example, livestock, textiles, eco-tourism, rural stores, food production, and a variety of other services.
- El Programa de la Mujer en el Sector Agrario (PROMUSAG) - The Program for Women in the Agricultural Sector (PROMUSAG) is specifically aimed at women who reside in rural-agricultural communities to support productive projects (small businesses).
- Joven Emprendador Rural - The Enterprising Rural Youth program helps young people in rural-agricultural areas acquire or rent communal land. Beneficiaries receive training and technical assistance so that they may establish sustainable agricultural businesses and improve income and living standards.
AGRICULTURE & LIVESTOCK
- El Programa de Apoyos Directos al Campo (PROCAMPO) – The Program of Direct Support to Farmers (PROCAMPO) was put in place in 1993 as a way to transfer resources to farmers to compensate them for the loss of indirect subsidies, guaranteed prices, and subsidies received by foreign competitors. Subsidies are determined on the basis of the size of the farm.
Other programs that support for agriculture and livestock include:
- Programa de Producción Pecuaria Sustentable y Ordenamiento Ganadero y Apícola (nuevo PROGAN)
- Registro Alterno
- Programa de Soporte
- Programa de Prevencion y Manejo de Riesgos
- Programa para la Adquisición de Activos Productivos (Agrícola)
- Programa de Uso Sustentable de Recursos Naturales para la Producción Primaria (Reconversión Productiva)
- Programa de Atención a Problemas Estructurales (Diesel Agropecuario, Marino y Gasolina Ribereña)
- Apoyo a la Participación de Actores para el Desarrollo Rural (Fomento a la Organización Rural)
- Programa Especial de Energía para el Campo en Materia de Energía de Uso Agrícola
- Programa de Fortalecimiento a la Organización Rural (Sistema Producto)
- Programa de Atención a Contingencias Climatologicas (PACC)
- Programa de Uso Sustentable de los Recursos Naturales para la Producción Primaria
- Programa de Activos Productivos
- Proyecto Regional de Asistencia Técnica al Microfinanciamiento Rural (PATMIR)
Secretaría de Desarrollo Social (SEDESOL)
Av. Paseo de la Reforma 116, Col. Juárez,
Del. Cuauhtémoc, C.P. 06600, México, D.F.
Fideicomiso Fondo Nacional de Habitaciones Populares (FONHAPO)
Insurgentes Sur 3483 PB
Col. Villa Olímpica Miguel Hidalgo
Del. Tlalpan, C.P. 14020, México D.F.
Tel. 01 800 366-2384
Secretaría de la Reforma Agraria (SRA)
Av. H. Escuela Naval Militar # 669,
Col. Presidentes Ejidales
Deleg. Coyoacán. C.P. 04470, México D.F.
Tel. 55-56-24 -00-00
Secretaría de Agricultura, Ganadería, Desarrollo Rural, Pesca, y Alimentación (SAGARPA)
Municipio Libre 377, Col. Santa Cruz Atoyac
Delegación Benito Juárez,
C.P. 03310, México, D.F.
Ricardo Torres No. 1
Fracc. Lomas de Sotelo
Naucalpan de Juárez
Estado de México C.P 53390
Insurgentes Sur 3483
Col. Villa Olímpica Miguel Hidalgo
C.P. 14020, México D.F.